Summer is short in Buffalo, so when sunny days come your way, you take advantage of them. This means always being ready to throw a few essentials into your backpack and head to the beach! These are my 9 favorite beach day essentials:
1. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen: This is my favorite sunscreen. It works, it doesn’t feel slimy and it doesn’t bother my skin. It is more expensive than your average Coppertone, but worth it! The bottles are also small enough to be TSA carry-on approved.
2. Old Navy Flip Flops: These flip flops are perfect for hot sand, rocky beaches, rinsing feet off, running to the bathroom and just about every other beach day errand. Plus, you can buy a pair for $2.50, or stock up during the $1 flip flop sale mid-summer.
3. Black Sea Followband: Wearing jewelry at the beach is dangerous – you’re asking for earrings lost to the waves and funky tan lines. However, I like accessorize just a little bit by adding this bracelet to my beach day outfit.
4. Lush Breath of Fresh Air Toner: I included this toner in my winner essentials list as well. It’s perfect for refreshing sun-drenched skin and wiping off layers of sunscreen before heading to the ice cream stand once the sun goes down.
5. Nalgene Water Bottle: Staying hydrated on the beach is hard, so a giant water bottle is a must-have. I love that plastic doesn’t sweat as much as metal water bottles and the top is big enough to fit ice cubes in.
6. Bubbles: Mom got me bubbles for Easter, and they’re a fun addition to beach day activities. Plus, they look great in pictures.
7. Knockaround Mai Tais: Knockarounds are just about everyone’s favorite beach accessory. They’re tough to break, cheap and available with polarized lenses. Plus, their new frame designs are flattering for smaller faces (like mine ✋) so you don’t have to sacrifice fashion for function.
8. Not Your Mother’s Beach Babe Texturizing Sea Salt Spray: Buffalo might not have any salt water nearby, but that doesn’t mean you can’t rock surfer girl hair. This makes wet hair look textured and helps it dry into a uniform wave.
9. A Good Magazine: If I’m spending a week on the beach (and a few hours in a plane to get there), a new book is a great accessory. If I’m visiting the local lake for an afternoon, a magazine is a better bet. I love Real Simple, Cosmo and Magnolia Journal!