I somehow escaped the first decade of the 2000s without watching a single episode of Gilmore Girls. With all the hype about Netflix’s revival this fall, I wanted to see what all the buzz was about, which meant I had to watch the seven seasons of the original series first. It was as good as everyone made it out to be, but watching the show in 2017 prompted some thoughts that definitely wouldn’t have occurred to me in 2005:
- Were bell sleeves really this popular? I haven’t seen a bell sleeve in a very long time.
- Same goes for sling back kitten heels.
- I almost forgot George W. was a president, until Rory’s “Give Bush a Wedgie” t-shirt. That brought back memories.
- How are alllll of Rory’s boyfriends so attractive? I probably would have had this thought in 2007 also, but still worth mentioning.
- On that note, watching both Gilmore Girls and This Is Us at the same time is weird. In the best way.
- I wish I could tell the high school Paris and Rory that Hillary Clinton is the powerhouse you look up to and more.
- A Drop it Like a it’s Hot reference. Wow.
- Oh, and a Wisteria Lane reference for Luke’s dramatics.
- The amount of food these people eat is incredible. I love it.
- How did people watch this one week at a time? Or wait between seasons?
- The 90s neon swishy suit disappeared for a reason.
- A skinny scarf for every outfit!
- If Rory knew she was supporting the future campaign of Donald Trump, she would never have went to his casino for her 21st birthday.
- Mental health jokes were wayyy more socially acceptable 10 years ago.
- Product placement was in its infancy 10 years ago.
- How do you survive college without social media?!
- Hurricane Katrina was a real doozy.
- Everyone had a Pontiac Sunfire, in Gilmore Girls and in real life.
- Also bangs. They’re everywhere in 2006.
- Melissa McCarthy is an absolute gem.
- A gem who wears Bonnie Bell Lip Smacker. You can’t get any better.
- Logan’s new website is like MySpace – that’s no longer a good thing.
- So many Britney Spears as a troubled mom references. She turns out okay guys!
- Snakes on a Plane was a movie people saw on dates. Why?
- Why are legwarmers part of Loreli’s outfit? That never should have been a thing.
- Logan’s belt is buckled on the side. I forgot we all did that, for years.
- Rory’s job on the campaign trail will take a while. Obama turns out pretty awesome.
The bonus of watching Gilmore Girls in 2017? I didn’t have to wait to watch A Year in the Life. Season 7, Episode 22 and all four episodes of the revival all in one night. And now:
The stages of realizing you've finished A Year in the Life. pic.twitter.com/sUfq5q2OVV
— Gilmore Girls (@GilmoreGirls) December 1, 2016